Friday, July 22, 2005

Two days of fans!

No, I have not become famous and gone on tour. I'm referring to "The Fanless Saga," days three and four.

Both yesterday and today we've had a fan! It makes it much nicer to work. In addition to having a fan, today brought a big change for me. I doubt that it's permanent, but I did it for today.

Normally, I load faucet parts on racks, and hang the racks up. Someone else takes those racks and puts them on the plating machine. Well, for about four hours today I loaded the plater!

It wasn't too hard, it was just hot. The fan doesn't reach the loading area. The hard part was switching loading hooks.

See, there are a certain number of "spaces" on the plating machine. Each space can hold a loading hook, or it can be left empty. And each loading hook can hold a loaded rack.

Sometimes, when we have a whole bunch of loaded racks ready, we run the plating machine "full on." This means that every space has a loading hook, and thus a loaded rack. But usually we run the plating machine "2 and 1," or "3 and 1." This means two/three spaces with loading hooks, and one space without a loading hook.

When I started loading the plater, we were running "3 and 1." About five minutes after I started loading, we were told to run the machine "2 and 1." Talk about a trial by fire! I had to keep track of how many loading hooks had gone by, and when I should take a hook off, or put one on! The math was intense.

That's my story.

In His Time,

No comments: