Friday, July 08, 2005

"I learned I knew it all along . . ."

So, this one time, in algebra, I was solving for X. Which, as most of you know, is "the thing" to do in algebra. It's what all the nerds do. And we all want to be nerds.


So, anyway, I was solving for X. I was struggling along, for one reason or another. Then Dad came home for lunch, and I started talking this math problem out loud to him. For some odd reason, talking out loud makes the problem much simpler. Except I never could do it unless there was someone actually there to talk it too.


Back to the subject again. I'm solving for X. All of a sudden, things start clicking. I start eliminating parts of the equation on both sides of the "=" sign. (which is the other "thing to do"). I'm racing along, solving this equation at lightning speed. When, all of a sudden, I pull up short. I look down at my paper, and sigh in disbelief.


I had just conclusively proved that X = X.


A few times since then, I've done something redundant like that. Every time, my mind has flashed back to that moment, doing algebra. "Oh yeah, X equals X."



I had another moment like that this evening. Did you realize that God is real? Like, real, and powerful, and everything? That's so cool!


My next thought is, "What must I do in response to that?" I mean, here we have this real, great, powerful God. What do we have to do simply because of the very fact that He is real?
Yup, the whole point of Deeper. Pursue Him.



Let me veer away for a second, and then segue back into that thought. So hold on to it. I'm currently reading a book entitled "Eragon." I saw it at the Wal-Mart store, for the low low price of $6.47. Having some change burning a hole in my pocket, and having read a little about the story a long time ago, I decided to purchase it.


Oh, and I wanted to try reading a story with Jesus. Like, I'm pretty used to reading stories by myself. But I wanted to try reading this story along with Jesus. Call it a Spiritual Discipline, if you will.


The story is fairly dependable, the characters are pretty well written. This kid gets a dragon egg, hatches a dragon, is on his way to becoming a hero. The usual.


But I've been learning/remembering some great things as I've been discussing this story with Jesus. Like, most everybody wants to be a hero. Most everybody wants to be special. Our fallen self, at least for us guys, wants to be feared and adored. I've been told girls want to be loved, and to special, set apart, sought after.


And as I get caught up in the story, I start wishing all this was happening to me. Being on a great adventure. Being special. Being loved. Having a powerful friend, who I can talk to with just my mind. Not having to be concerned with what might happen in the future, because nothing can harm me. Jesus reminded me that all this is true. Right now. I am on a great adventure. I have no idea where it will end. At this moment I'm in one of those places that only get one or two sentences in the book, but that form my character and discipline my body. It's still just as important as the rest of the sentences.


I am special. So special that another gave up this life, just so that I could begin and continue this adventure. I am loved. And I can look forward to the beautiful girl several chapters away.
And I do have a powerful friend, who I can talk to with just my mind. My friend speaks back, with more wisdom and love than I will ever encompass.


Best of all, I don't have to be concerned with the future. Nothing can harm me. Sure, this tool of a body, much as I like it, can be maimed. At any moment this body, which I call 'I,' could be reduced to a quivering mass of short-circuiting flesh. But my identity is separate from my body. My adventure will continue.


And, to segue back in, I have something that the characters in this book will never have. I am on the side of a real, powerful, great, awesome, mighty, just, merciful, loving, wrathful, righteous, slow-to-anger, thundering God. And He said He's gonna make it all okay.


Beat that, Eragon.


In His Time,

No comments: