Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Sun-Soaked Day

Today, I decided to play the tourist. I woke up a little later than I had planned, but that's okay. Tourists shouldn't worry about time too much.

But sometimes tourists do worry about the time, so I didn't dwaddle as I prepared to go out. I packed what I had for lunch, and made a mental note of what I needed to get at a store.

A good tourist always checks to see what the weather is like before going out. About 50 degrees, sunny, with a good chance of increasing heat as the day progressed. Beautiful.

I left the flat, walked to the metro station, occasionally greeting the natives in their own language, like any good tourist. I managed not to gawk, stumble over things while staring at gorgeous buildings, or get run over on my way to the metro. I realized that I was letting the tourist image down a little bit. I made up for it by trying my very best to speak the native language clearly. I'm sure that this was every bit in character for a tourist, because I got a few blank looks from fellow pedestrians.

I entered the metro, rode to a centrally located store, and purchased what I needed to complete my lunch. Again the good tourist, I thanked the cashier and said goodbye, all in the native tongue. It's so fun to experience new places!

I again boarded a metro and rode to Vysehrad. I had been informed by friends that there existed in this area a second castle (the first being Prague Castle, an inevitable tourist attraction). Being a good tourist, I did not want to go where "everyone else" was going. I needed to find vistas off the beaten path.

Fortunately, the "off the beaten path" was fairly easy to find, enclosed as it was by massive, ancient stone walls. Grass, trees, and beautiful views of the city predominated. The sun had risen and been shining long enough to warm the air up considerably. Like a good tourist, I ignored the local measuring unit of temperature, and estimated that it was 65 or 70 degrees out.

I realized that I had again slacked off from my primary task, and had not even removed my camera from my backpack, much less taken any pictures. I speedily addressed this wrong, and began seeking photographic opportunities. Fortunately, such opportunities abounded. Tunnels, walls, buildings, and the views from each of these, began filling my camera memory.

With this difficulty momentarily turned aside, a second one presented itself. Having contracted a cold a few days earlier, my nose was still producing mucus in large quantities. This in itself was not a problem, until I ran out of tissues. From this point onward, it became much more difficult to enjoy the gloriously warm day, the stunning views, and the ancient architecture. All I could think about was my nose, and how uncomfortable it was.

Finally, with a tourist's sigh, I retraced my steps to find a public restroom. Unlike public restrooms in the States, you must pay 3 crowns (between 12 - 15 cents) to use their facilities here. Having put it off as long as I could, this tourist bowed to necessecity and blew his nose on Czech toilet paper.

This unpleasant business finished, I once again was free to resume my tourist duties. Directly across from the public restrooms, though I had not seen it before, lay a cemetery. Walking silently between the packed plots of ground, I was once again reminded of how fragile our life is. Even more than that, how temporary it is. Each of these people were cherished, loved, and were energetic beings in life. But now, most of them no longer even have anyone to remember them. All that it left is an ornate coffin, resting in a beautiful cemetery.

Having been reminded of this lesson, I left the cemetery and returned to my circuit of the castle. The sun continued to shine warmly upon me, and I paused a few time to bask in it's embrace. I noticed several people sitting on the grass, and one couple even enjoying a picnic.

It struck me that this would be a perfect day for a picnic. Warm, just a touch of breeze, sunshine, no bugs yet...And all of this on a castle! Not bad at all. I would have liked to try it out myself, but I didn't have a blanket with me, nor anyone to share the picnic with. So I resigned myself to eating lunch on a large, uniquely shaped rock.

I must say, I like being a tourist on a day like this. I may have to try it again.

In His Time,

No comments: