Monday, April 11, 2005

Joeletter 9.1

There are two things that keep me from writing Joeletters. One is being too busy. Not having a computer at our flat, Ben and I must work out times to be on other people's computers. With all the other things that are going on here in Praha that can be difficult.

The other thing that keeps me from consistently writing Joeletters is not having anything to write about. It seems like we are either ridiculously busy, or not doing much of anything. It's quite silly.

Tonight, Monday night, Ben, Jeff, and I will attend the Ski Trip Reunion. All the people who went on the trip to Austria to ski in the Alps are getting back together. We'll see how everyone's doing now, and each get a CD with all the pictures that we took on the trip. That will be very nice. I'm looking forward to having everyone's pictures of the Alps, and of the participants.

This Saturday Jeff, Ben, Steve Cone, and myself, will drive to Taize, France. Located in the south of Burgundy, the community began in 1940. In 1949 a monastery was established out of that initial community. Today, pilgrims from all over the world flock to Taize (pronounced with the first e as in the name Ed, and the second e like a long "a". Phonetically, it's Tezaaa). It promises to be a wonderful week of introspection and discovery. These websites explain about the origin and current function of Taize.

http://www.taize.fr/en_rubrique8.html - The Community

http://www.taize.fr/en_article166.html - Beginning to Today

Part of the experience is sharing in the work. We will each be assigned jobs helping to serve all the visitors at Taize, of whom we are a part. We will also be put into discussion groups to talk over things that we've heard, been taught, or just thought about each day. I'm looking forward to the week. I've heard wonderful things from all the people who have already spent time there.

Jeff has rented a car to make the trip in, as it would be much too expensive to get to Taize otherwise. Even in a car, it will be a little expensive getting there and back again. Gas here is over five dollars a gallon. It makes the high prices back in the states seem cheap in comparison. Now, I'm not sure if I've talked about this, but we there is a big difference between American cars and European cars. American cars are HUGE! It's so funny to see cars from America over here, because they are so much bigger than what I've grown used to. Over here cars are much smaller, which helps when finding parking places in the city. Also, smaller cars equal less gas consumption.

But, here's the kicker, there will be four of us in this small Czech car. Now, four people in an American car is no problem. Even four large people. But in a Czech car there is much less space. And all four of us have spent some time in the gym here in Praha. I'm definitely the smallest one of the group. And we will be driving for a very long time. If you refer to a map, the Czech Republic and France aren't exactly next door neighbors. Yeehaw.


On the way back from Taize we will stop in Munich, Germany. We plan to spend the night at a friend's flat. Then Jeff, Steve, and Ben will return to Prague, and I will stay in Munich for a week. It's a chance to spend some time with Sandy Graham, a wonderful woman of God. One of the reasons we traveled up to Munich about a month ago was to see here. She came down to see us over Easter weekend and participated in our Easter Prayer Vigil.

But I didn't get a chance to spend much time with her either visit. Since that didn't happen she invited me up to Munich. So, immediately after Taize I will spend a week in Munich, then ride the train home. I'm looking forward to talking and praying with her.


Our time here draws swiftly to a close. I am both glad and sad. I am going to miss the time spent here, and the people that I have met. At the same time, I do miss my family. It will be good to be with them again.

It may sound a little funny to be talking like this right now, since we have about a month left before we have to leave. But with all that will be happening, I know that it's going to fly by very fast.

Well, that's all that I can think of to write to you about. I know I'll have quite a lot to write about after Taize and Munich, so take this Joeletter as the calm before the storm - sol.

In His Time,

No comments: