Saturday, March 11, 2006

2 Timothy 1:7

Much to write. Too much. I love Jesus, He's gently turning my focus to only Him, to Only One Thing. That's where it has to be. I hate the pain I cause when I take my eyes off Him. The verse in front of my eyes right now is 2 Timothy 1:7 - For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.

For a long time God has been emphasizing the first part of that verse for me - being called not to fear, but to power. In fact, I was kinda curious why the rest of the verse was there, having a spirit of love and of self-discipline. But today, just this morning, as I look at it, I see that all three parts are integral. Think about it with me.

First of all, God did not give us a spirit of timidity, or fear. Fear is a strong driving force. For all without the hope of Christ's eternity, there is the fear of death. Even for those with the hope of Christ in glory, we can allow ourselves to be fearful, fearing that God's plan will not provide what we need. But God did not call us to fear. He did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid. His Spirit does not make us afraid! Are you reveling in your freedom from fear? Or are you remaining locked in fear?

Second, God GAVE us a spirit of Power! His Spirit is powerful. We have a spirit of power within us. Power does things. It acts. It drives. This can be a wonderful thing. It can also be detrimental, if we allow it to be. Power, unchecked, will destroy us and those around us. We are weak. Thus the next part is love.

In addition to power, we have a spirit of love. Colossians 3:14 says, "And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Love binds, holds, smooths. The strength of power is controlled by the spirit of love that God gives us.

Finally, a spirit of self-discipline. Maintaining control over ourselves. We have power, it is tempered by love. But self-discipline is vital as well. Otherwise we are apt to do the right thing at the wrong time. I must continually bring myself into line with what I know God has for me right now.


As many of you know, I grew up with a tremendous self-discipline. Unfortunately, it was employed in the service of a lifeless head-knowledge of Jesus. I had a form of godliness, while denying it's power. I was perfect . . . but not.

God has been calling me out of that lifelessness, in a process that started with Deeper in the fall of 2004. Beginning this January, He has been calling me to accept my emotions as an integral part of me, and to express them. I started moving away from the extreme self-discipline that I had imposed upon myself. Yet, according to this verse, I am still called to self-discipline, still called to hold fast to what I KNOW is right, right alongside the spirit of power and the spirit of love that I have been given.

That's hard.

Thanks for your encouragement and support, for helping me along the way to simply One Pursuit. I appreciate it more than you know.

No comments: