Tuesday, March 29, 2005

God Loves Freely

I've been reading The Ragamuffin Gospel, along with Colossians. I am astonished how much The One Thing - pursuing God as the only thing in my life - permeates Colossians. Not astonished that it's there, but that I missed it before. I mean, I memorized the book, quoted it once or twice a week in my prime review season.

But both The Ragamuffin Gospel and Colossians underscore a truth that I've been realizing with fresh, bracing, shocking, astonishing clarity. Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow. He loves me so unconditionally, so completely and fully. There is nothing I can do, did do, will do, that prompted this. Nothing causes this love, except God. I can't do anything to make him love me - either more, or at all. He loves me just as I am, right now. He loves me this way just as much as if I did something that seems great in His name. He loves me this way just as much now as he would if I launched a nuclear weapon as Tokyo, the largest city in the world.

This is outrageous. It's not fair. God loves people who don't deserve it. They don't have to do anything for Him, there are no requirements or strings on His love. So what's to keep me from not doing anything for Him? I'm concerned that I'm just going to stop working for Him, get lazy. I take things to Him all the time mentally, talking them over with Him. But I don't have to do anything.
In His Time,

No comments: