Thursday, February 03, 2005

What to drink, What to drink?

So the stuff you drink over here is a little different than I'm used to at home. Yes, they have milk and juice, and Coke. But there's more. They sell Mattoni, which is carbonated water with a variety of flavors. I've had pear and peach, and seen many more. It's very different than anything I've seen in the States, especially since it comes in tall, 1.5 liter bottles.

They also sell milk in boxes. These boxes are stacked out in the middle of the aisle, and you can leave them on your shelf at home as long as they are unopened. In fact, these boxes of milk will keep for years if they aren't tampered with. This is because it's like canning milk. They pasturize it, and then seal the box closed. It ships much better, and is much easier to store. Now, once the box has been opened you do have to refrigerate it. But until then you don't have to at all. It's quite different.


I'm starting to get used to using the Crown (Kc) as a currency. I still convert the numbers in my head to have an idea how much something costs. But I'm getting faster at that too. Right now there are 23 Kc to the American Dollar. So to figure out how much a pair of 1180 Kc shoes costs, I just multiply the hundred's digits by four. So a pair of shoes costing 1180 Kc means they cost a little less than $48. (I rounded the 80 Kc up to get 1200 Kc, then multiplied by four). It's a little more difficult when going from American Dollars to Crowns, but since there are about four dollars to every 100 Kc, I just have to divide by four and multiply by 100.

In His Time,

1 comment:

Casey said...

Joel,
I love your blog updates - I am learning so much from them! Thank you for being so faithful in keeping them current and detailed. I know your family especially must be grateful :) We are continuing to pray about the things you asked us to. Let us know if you need anything, ever.
casey (and jeremy)