Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Some more thoughts on Evangelism & Discipling

So, I've been thinking more about my thoughts on evangelism and discipleship. I don't think I'm necessarily wrong, but I think that there is more to be said. (Well, of course, since I'm finite).

I was listening to Acts and Romans on my iPod, which is a wonderful thing to do while riding on the Metro and the trams. And I realized that Paul was evangelizing in a way that didn't fit into the little box that I wrote last time. Therefore, my box must not be complete, or completely right.

Paul didn't stick just to the discipling method of ministry. He was called by God (Acts 13:2-3) to go and do God's work. Reading further in Acts, this looks like preaching in the synagogues and lecture halls. First to the Jews, then to the Gentiles. Paul took this new information, the Gospel, and shared it with people who had never heard it before. Based on the situation, this was the exact method that needed to be followed. Simple moving to a city and waiting for God to raise up disciples would not have been nearly as effective.

So, as God has currently shown me (always subject to further insights from His Word), we are called to situation based ministry/evangelism. We must at all times be ready, through study and the personal pursuit of intimacy with God, both to serve as a mentor and to evangelize/preach. I must be seeking God in such a way that in responding to Him I will both be simply discipling those whom He raises up, and also ready to speak when He gives me a platform, a voice. This idea is the two sides of Spiritual Authority. Whether this authority is extending to one or two people, or a large number of people, I am still just responding to God.

In His Time,

No comments: