Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Wonderful Simile

Last Wednesday night Jesus showed me a wonderful simile. We were all standing around the grass circle in front of the chapel. Each of us held an unlit candle. My eyes were drawn irresistibly to the big spotlight machine in the center of our circle. I kept watching the beams of light as they circled and crossed. They continued to fascinate me as we began singing.

Then a married couple approached me. Stephanie, the person standing on my left, and I, scooted apart to let them into the circle. Both the husband and wife held a lit candle, flaring against the darkness. It dawned on me that I had been chosen as next in line to start spreading the flame from lit candle to unlit one. I felt honored.

I carefully held my wick to his flame, waiting for it to begin burning. Then, just as carefully, I offered my newly lit candle to Eric, standing to my right. My part in the process done, I turned my eyes back to the large light beams in the center of the circle.

But not for long! Eric had carelessly let his candle go out. I gladly held my bright flame to his wick again. But in bringing my candle back in front of me, a stray gust of wind almost blew mine out! I quickly cupped my hand around the flame, warding off any more wandering breezes.

This, however, proved more difficult than it sounded. The night suddenly seemed filled with eddies of wind, fluttering this way and that. Every time I attempted to watch the light beams, I would have to quickly look back down at my own flame. In fact, I realized that I had to give up almost all other outside activities to guard the flame.

At this moment I was given a wonderful word-picture for our life with Christ. I had to focus solely on my flame just to keep it burning. In the same way, we each have been given one task, one responsibility to keep our flame burning. And that is to focus on Jesus as the only thing in our lives. Not that we don’t do other things! But that everything we do is for the purpose of knowing Christ more intimately.

Whether I am attending class, writing a paper, or enjoying recreation, the ultimate goal is spending that time learning from and about different aspects of God. Only in knowing God more intimately each day will I truly allow my flame to burn in the way it was created to.

7 comments:

Jojo said...

Hi Joel!
So glad you have your blog back up and running. I missed it!

I really enjoyed your post here today. Easier said than done - but it's definitely the goal.

Anxious to hear about your college experiences. Have a good week!

Anna said...

Hi Joel -

I'm a friend of JoJo's. She has a link on her blog to your blog.

Currently, I'm writing a novel. One of the characters is a homeschooled, 8 year-old-boy. I'd be interested in hearing your homeschool experiences to help me write these scenes in a realistic way.

Enjoyed your latest post. There was such wisdom.

Blessings,
Anna

Joel said...

Hi Anna,

Thanks for visiting. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Being homeschooled my entire life, though, there are quite a few experiences!

It might be easier for both of us if you had several questions that I could answer. That would help me get a focus and direction for what to tell you, what you need.

Let me know!

Anna said...

Hi Joel!

Thanks for the quick response. Having grown up in a big city and having been in public schools, my knowledge of homeschooling is limited.

I'm having a hard time narrowing the scope of my questions. What I need is an overall view of a typical homeschool day, and the type of curriculum used.

Some questions:

1. What history books did you use?
Did they include stories about
George Washington praying at
Valley Forge, etc.?

2. What were some of the fun
things about being
homeschooled?

3. What was your school day like?
Did your Mom do all the
teaching or did you have some
tutors or outside classes?

4. Were you taught to research
and think problems through?

Any stories you might have, which would show the advantages of homeschooling would be great.

Thanks so much for your help. There are a zillion sites on the Net, but I wanted the viewpoint of someone who had actually been through homeschool.

One thing I always found helpful when I was in school: It's a lot easier to stay ahead of your work than to play catch up!

Blessings,
Anna

Joel said...

Anna,

Do you have an e-mail that I can send my answers to?

Anna said...

Hi Joel!

My email is:

annawriter@earthlink.net

I appreciate your help. I'm actually beginning work on a major homeschool chapter today.

Blessings,
Anna

Anna said...

Joel -

My answer to your question did not come up when I hit the comments. It only comes up when I come here to post.

Hope this posts so you know I answered. annawriter@earthlink.net

Thanks,
Anna