Sunday, April 06, 2008

Responsible

I am not responsible for my guilt, I realized this morning. I am responsible for my actions before God. If my heart is both seeking him, and clean before him, then I can reject any feelings of guilt that are pointed my way.

It's easy for me to feel guilty, when I take on responsibilities that I shouldn't - or say no to things, and then feel bad for it. But, really, there is only one judge, who is able to save and destroy. I just need to please him, right?

I feel like there's a little danger in being so simplistic - I actually intended to simply right "I am responsible only before God," but then as I wrote it I felt like that was a very dangerous proposition. I don't think it's wrong, it's just easy to abuse if your heart is wrong.

Now, not all guilt is wrong. But I know that it is a powerful tool that gets used against me. That's why I hate it SO MUCH when people try to guilt-trip me into doing things. I do it to myself, however, and I'm so much more insidious. It all comes back to God - am I honoring Him, or not? if I am, I can stand firm in that. If I'm not, I'd better start moving, now!


Whatcha think?

No comments: